by Hayk Demoyan, Levon Melik-Shakhnazaryan
translated by Ruzanna Amiraghyan
Contents | 1. Foreword
| 2. Sources | 3. The
political situation in Azerbaijan in 1991-1992
4. Reasons for the assault of Khojalu | 5. The Khojalu offensive
6. About the participation of CIS 366-th regiment | 7. Development of the events after February 26
8. The causes of casualtes among civilians in Khojalu | 9. The total number of casualties
10. Conclusions | 11. Summary | 12. Appendix
Summarizing the facts brought in the present research and analyzing the way of interpretation of this crime by the Azerbaijani state propaganda as “Genocide of Azerbaijanis in Khojalu”, we come to the following conclusions:
1. The comparison of the data from various sources, including those from Azerbaijan, clearly reveal that the Self-defense Forces of Nagorno-Karabakh Republic did not plan and, moreover, did not undertake any actions of mass killing of civilians of Khojalu settlement.
2. As a result of the Armenian attack on the Azerbaijani military positions in Khojalu approximately 700 refugees, including about 300 Meskhetian Turks, who were unable to leave the settlement or did not manage to do so, were transported to the capital of NKR Stepanakert by the Armenian side, where, despite of the food shortage among Armenians, all the Azerbaijani refugees were supplied with accommodation and two-times meals daily.
Interestingly, the refugees from Khojalu had asked the permission from Armenians to prepare food themselves, according to the Islamic laws. In response to this request they were supplied with a herd of sheep taken from Khojalu. In a couple of days the refugees, according to their will, were handed to the Azerbaijani side without any conditions. Only some of them were taken as hostages to exchange with Armenian POWs.
Additional confirmation of this could serve the documentary film shot by Svetlana Kulchitskaya, who recorded the above-mentioned fact. Only the captives from the Azerbaijani armed formations were exchanged for Armenian hostages.
3. As was already mentioned, several dozens Azerbaijani soldiers were killed during the Armenian assault to suppress artillery and rocket positions of Azerbaijani armed groups as well as nearby Nakhijevanik. The bodies of Azerbaijani soldiers found in the territories under the control of the Karabakh Defense Forces Khojalu were handed to the Azerbaijani side in Aghdam.
4. The bodies of 200-300 Khojalu inhabitants were found by journalists close to the Azerbaijani city Aghdam, in the territories controlled by the Azerbaijani armed formations. This fact was proved also by numerous Azerbaijani witnesses, including video shootings taken by the Azerbaijani cameraman Chengiz Mustafaev (Fuad-ogly) later presented as a main argument of «Armenian brutalities».
5. The Azerbaijani official propaganda up to the present continue to manipulate with falsified number of casualties ranging from 200 up to abstract thousands. There is no precise data on the number of wounded and disappeared.
6. Based on above mentioned fact it is possible to state that the main causes of massacre of Khojalu civilians underlies in the internal political struggle for power between various political groupings of Azerbaijan, in particular, in the aspiration of opposition on behalf of Popular Front of Azerbaijan to discredit the then President of Azerbaijan Ayaz Mutalibov, and by this way to achieve his resignation. The inhabitants of Khojalu simply became the hostages of dirty political games in Baku.
It would be naïve to think, that Armenians would agree with the role of a victim and would not undertake any measures for self-defense. It was perfectly understood also in certain circles in Azerbaijan. They understood and prepared. But not to cease bombardments, and not even to organize defense of Khojalu. They simply were preparing to present Armenians as the murderers of the peaceful people to the world community.
7. Lastly, the later developments showed that the Khojalu tragedy (or correctly to say Aghdam tragedy –H. D. L. M. –Sh.) was well planed by Popular Front of Azerbaijan and by means of this inhuman action it realized its main goal. The fact remains. After mass killing and mutilating of bodies of refugees on a wave of antigovernment mass hysteria in Azerbaijan, the Popular Front of Azerbaijan overthrew Mutalibov after ten days and soon came to power. Does the aim justify the means?!
The present government in Azerbaijan has taken on arms the same accusations against Armenians, which in a time were speculated by the Popular Front.
|Armenian massacres in Sumgait|
|Chronology of Karabakh war|
|Hosted by sumgait.info|